22 February 2007

By land, by sea, by dirigible… The Decemberists arrive in Paris!

I quite stupidly thought I’d follow the model of the Hold Steady show at the same venue a week or so ago, and arrive an hour after doors and be okay. Why it didn’t click that the Decemberists are a lot bigger in France than the Hold Steady are, and that this show was indeed sold out, I don’t know. So I got there at 9, doors having been at 8, and I’d completely missed Lavender Diamond, who I remember vaguely liking at the last show in DC, and the place was packed. I’d actually planned on arriving a little earlier but of course was late. Anyway, I found a little space along the side and peered around for better spots but was too afraid to try and fail, so I held ground for the rest of the five minutes or so that were left before the band came on – they don’t waste time around here before, between, or after sets.

There was a couple next to me in which the obnoxious guy – who kept shouting song titles during breaks in between (I hate that! Like they’re really going to just change their setlist and play what you want to hear…) – seemed to insist on standing in front of his girlfriend – which was lame both for her, since she was a bit shorter, and for me, because it meant I couldn’t see too well either. There’s always someone you want to clock in the head with a hard object at a concert. Anyway it was hard to take pictures so what I did take, well, they’re not spectacular views but at least they’re better than, say, crappy camera phone pics or something.

















































They brought out Lavender Diamond for the last song before the encore, and again for the very last song. One of them brought out their little son (the one in the picture), who Colin beckoned out with a grin. Those two songs were actually the best of the night, in my opinion, because of all the energy – the Decemberists were tired, which Chris Funk confirmed after the show, as it was their last stop on what I think was a pretty long tour. I understand and don’t blame them, but couldn’t help but be let down, having seen them last at their amazing show in DC which was taped for NPR, which you would barely know was the same band compared with this show. Whereas both DC shows I saw (supporting Picaresque and then The Crane Wife) had Colin talking to the audience nonstop, interacting with us (e.g. taking someone’s cell phone and calling his mom), calling for our participation, and walking into the crowd, this one in contrast gave us a somewhat stone-faced Colin (who, okay, may not smile all that much in general but is sure known to grin slyly), who didn’t talk at all between songs and seemed ready to leave. They sounded good, minus the energy, but the setlist was pretty short. I was very glad to hear “The Engine Driver” and “Red Right Ankle” but I think the rest of the crowd probably shared my disappointment in missing out on “Yankee Bayonet”, which I was most looking forward to.

It was the drummer who announced the last song, telling us this wasn’t a song we should go home and sing for our parents or anything – here’s some video from the awesome rendition of “Feel Like Making Love” – it was great enough just hearing Colin sing the words.

[ ]

In any case, it was awesome to see the Decemberists in Paris, which also gave me a sense of home despite the oddity of not having my concert partner Ween with me L! Ah, see that’s why it wasn’t that great – they didn’t bother putting forth their best effort since you weren’t there, Weenis. You and Colin are destined after all.

Hear all the bombs fade away…!

No comments: